Sunday, July 5, 2009

Retro classics in HD


If you've never heard of DeviantArt now is the time to check it out.  There is an artist named Orioto who is making some of the most amazing paintings of classic game scenes I've ever seen. I had a zelda pic made by this artist as my desktop wallpaper for a very long time.  The paintings are done as if the original game had been done in HD and had been done without 3d.

I can say that long ago as consoles started getting more powerful I hoped and dreamed that games would look like this.  Instead we got 3d.  But my dream lives on in the imagination of this artist.  Check out the gallery here.  You can even pay to have a custom painting done.  If you have an old favorite you would love to have done like this all you need is some cash.

Now what would be really awesome is if we could get some games done like this.  Imagine some old classics redone in this style!  It would bring a warm feeling into the heart of this old gamer.

4 comments:

RetroPengo said...

I must say that I'm impressed with the quality Orioto's paintings show. I always wanted games to look like this too. It's funny how geeks that grow up during the same era start to think the same about the stuff they love.

Hyla said...

You are not old!!! And those are beautiful!

Ev said...

I feel old! But yeah, it's a generation thing I guess. These young noobs wouldn't know a good game if it bit them. Then again, a really good game would be too hard for them and they would just cry like babies. Nothing beats a classically trained gamer... Nutt'n

RetroPengo said...

A greater truth was never told, sir. I'd take anyone on in Rockin' Kats. Lol